Re: new *Help* argument highlighting

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: new *Help* argument highlighting
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 09:24:21 +0200

On 10 May 2004 10:32:06 +0900
Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:

> Whether or not colors are appropriate depends a lot on the context; each
> case has to be thought about separately.

Yes.

> What people (including me) are
> saying is that colors are the wrong thing for this case.

I think we all agree on this one. I initially used
font-lock-variable-name-face because it seemed vaguely related, but
after a short while I came to understand it just wasn't right and
changed it to bold (that's what I'd prefer, as a default), and then to
italics per RMS' suggestion.

> [Though, FWIW, I think that changes in _brightness_ are generally less
> intrusive than changes in _hue_, especially if they're subtle.]

Sure, I agree on this one too. The only problem (in this case) is
finding the right highlight, subtle but not invisible (or perhaps in
this case non-visible is just the right default, I don't know).

                                                                Juanma