Re: new *Help* argument highlighting

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: new *Help* argument highlighting
Date: 09 May 2004 20:25:13 -0400

> Yeah, sorry, I didn't intend to imply that. But I get the feeling (I can
> be wrong) that there are people who simply likes the Help buffers with
> no highlighting/font-locking at all.

I think you're wrong.  There's a lot of problems with adding colors.
But playing with font size is pretty safe (at least, I can't remember
a single complaint from the font-size change in Info-mode, for example).
Bold sometimes causes problems as does italics.  Too bad: I find
them irreplaceable.

Using proportional fonts OTOH is asking for trouble, not because "some
people won't like it" but because we'll encounter many bugs linked to the
poor support for proportional fonts in the current code.

> That's also a bit surprising to me, given that we use font-locking in
> a lot of cases, like the recently added `completions-fist-difference' and
> `completions-common-part' faces.  It's not like help-argument-name
> introduces highlighting on an otherwise very sober Emacs environment... :)

As said, it's not the fact of highlighting that surprises, it's just the
fact that args and only args are highlighted as if they were so
very special.  Note that I try to consistently say "surprise" rather than
"bother".  I'm not opposed to it, but I think it currently looks odd.

        Stefan