Re: new *Help* argument highlighting

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: new *Help* argument highlighting
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 01:48:37 +0200

On 09 May 2004 19:10:19 -0400, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think uppercase is intrusive enough.

As with all issues regarding colors and defaults, it seems there aren't
two users/developers who agree on this one... :)

> It makes sense to add highlighting for cases where the user wants to
> highlight a particular argument (as in the original situation which
> prompted this long thread).

Hm. We could allow passing a numeric argument to describe function, so
"C-3 C-h f my-function" would highlight the third argument of myfunction
(only half joking...)

> But highlighting all args doesn't seem of much
> use to me.

Oh, I don't find it very useful to describe `nth'; but
`define-minor-mode' or `define-key', definitely yes.

> I think the additional highlight would make more sense in a situation where
> the *Help* buffer uses a larger font for the function/variable name at the
> top (i.e. like a title), then some other font (probably courrier) for the
> usage, then yet some other (something proportional) for the body, ...

That's doable, but I think many people would find it way too much
highlighting.  However, if that's the way to go, I'd take a look into
implementing it.

I'm not going to push for any specific default color/highlighting on
this issue; whatever is decided is OK by me. But I certainly wouldn't
like the feature to go. At the very least, we can set the face to
'default and let the user decide.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u