Re: new *Help* argument highlighting

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: new *Help* argument highlighting
Date: 09 May 2004 19:10:19 -0400

>> The problem is that the argument names are already uppercase, and
>> uppercase+italic looks kinda weird, certainly not very much like what's in
>> the manuals.

> I agree, but I don't see it as a problem because people can customize it.
> What we're trying to find is a non-intrusive default, and italics seems
> like a good one.

I think uppercase is intrusive enough.
It makes sense to add highlighting for cases where the user wants to
highlight a particular argument (as in the original situation which
prompted this long thread).  But highlighting all args doesn't seem of much
use to me.  At leaqst with the current appearance where
nothing's highlighted.

I think the additional highlight would make more sense in a situation where
the *Help* buffer uses a larger font for the function/variable name at the
top (i.e. like a title), then some other font (probably courrier) for the
usage, then yet some other (something proportional) for the body, ...

        Stefan