Re: VC-SVN problem

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: VC-SVN problem
Date: 07 May 2004 14:58:17 -0500

Shawn Boyette <address@hidden> writes:
> Sorry if this should have gone to bug-gnu-emacs; I use CVS builds and
> thus figured that devel would be more appropriate.
>
> Short and sweet problem: for roughly the past 1.5 weeks, attempting to
> commit any file under subversion control results in failure. The
> messages are as follows:
>
>   Wrote /home/mdxi/web/dict/kdict/edit/edit.xi [2 times]
>   Mark set
>   Press C-c C-c when you are done editing.
>   Enter a change comment.  Type C-c C-c when done
>   Checking in /home/mdxi/web/dict/kdict/edit/edit.xi...
>   vc-svn-checkin: Symbol's function definition is void: list*
>
> The check-in is not successful, and the *VC-log* window is not
> removed. This isn't a killer, obviously, but it's pretty dang annoying.
>
> I hate to just complain about things, but I've just started studying
> my copy of the elisp intro book, so this one's pretty much over my
> head.

I believe the problem is that 'list*' is in the 'cl' package, but
vc-svn.el doesn't have

   (require 'cl)

anywhere.  For some people it won't be an error, because they already
have 'cl' loaded for some other reason; but in a pristine Emacs like
yours, it fails.

Stefan, would you rather require 'cl', or just rewrite
'vc-svn-checkin' to not use 'list*'?

Shawn, in the meantime, see if putting

   (require 'cl)

in your .emacs fixes the problem.