with-output-to-temp-buffer [Re: reverting CJK input methods]

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: with-output-to-temp-buffer [Re: reverting CJK input methods]
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 14:05:45 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> In article <address@hidden>, Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
>>  Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>>>   How about the attached change instead?  Perhaps we should also setup
>>>   "[back]" widget, but I forgot how to do that.  :-(

>>  Thank you, it works fine.  Perhaps "[back]" button is not needed
>>  in this rare case.

> Thank you for testint it.  I've just installed that change.

Ummm, I found a bug in this change.  It signals an error if
point is on a read-only text.   While trying to fix it, I
found this problem.

Once we insert a read-only text in *Help* buffer, all succeeding

(with-output-to-temp-buffer "*Help*" ...)

fails because the function temp_output_buffer_setup calls
Ferase_buffer and it signals the error "Text is read-only".

Should we bind inhibit-read-only to t while calling
Ferase_buffer, or modify Ferase_buffer itself so that it
doesn't signal the above error?  The docsting of
erase-buffer is this:

  Delete the entire contents of the current buffer.
  Any narrowing restriction in effect (see `narrow-to-region') is removed,
  so the buffer is truly empty after this.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden