Re: Buffer-local faces

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Buffer-local faces
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 19:27:00 -0400

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 06:42:10PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >       (FACE NEW-FACE MERGE-FACE...),
> >    which causes NEW-FACE to be used where FACE normally would.
> >    If present, MERGE-FACE... are merged during display with NEW-FACE.
>
> How often would you need MERGE-FACE(s) ?  I ask because it seems unnecessary
> since you can also use a new face with a :inherit slot instead, right?

My thought was that this would be convenient for people that want to just
tweak faces in a mode-hook, and allow them to do it without making a new
face.  It's annoying to always have to name everything.  Implementation-wise
I don't think there's any real cost to allowing it (the code to merge from a
list of faces is already there for the use of :inherit).

Actually, this doesn't work currently (not sure why), but I thought a nice
use would be something like (region region bold) -- which would _extend_ the
region face to also boldify stuff, as opposed to (region bold) which would
_replace_ the region face.  Allowing this source of `mixin' face would be
very handy for users I think.

-Miles
--
`The suburb is an obsolete and contradictory form of human settlement'