Re: Buffer-local faces patch

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Buffer-local faces patch
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 15:14:35 -0400

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 08:43:58PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I didn't yet try to use this, only read through the patch, so the
> following question might be annoyingly stupid: I see DEFAULT_FACE_ID
> being referenced in lots of the current source files besides the ones
> you modified.  Is this patch supposed to work on all types of displays
> supported by Emacs, or just on X?

I don't know.  I didn't pay much attention to non-X stuff, but the changes
outside of xfaces.c are very small and I think they're all in generic code,
so it may just work.

I tried to avoid changing all the uses of DEFAULT_FACE_ID because as you say
there are lots of them.

The cases where DEFAULT_FACE_ID need _not_ be changed are:

  (1) Where the face-id is passed (eventually) to init_iterator, as
      init_iterator will do the work (the face passed to init_iterator is not
      a `real' face-id anyway, it is required to be one of the basic
      face-ids).

  (2) Where the code really wants the underlying default face, not the
      buffer's default face.  An example of this might be where it's going to
      test whether it can just draw the background color -- in this case you
      want to treat a remapped default-face as just another face (i.e., not
      the background).

Those two exceptions cover many, many, uses.

There are a few I'm not sure about, e.g., the fringe munging code, but the
patch tends to fail conservatively, so the only effect might be that
remapping doesn't take in some cases (like the fringe face).

-Miles
--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?