Re: User-reserved element in byte code vectors

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: User-reserved element in byte code vectors
Date: 02 May 2004 15:54:09 -0400

>> > No, that's not necessary.  As long as the first six element in the
>> > byte code object are as Emacs expects them to be, anything can be
>> > stuffed into additional elements.  At least in GNU Emacs 20.7,
>> > 21.3, and CVS.
>> But then how does your bytecode access this 7th element?
> Yes, that's a problem.  I don't think there is a way.

Heh?  Do you mean to say that "your way" has the downside that it plain
does not work?  I thought you already had it implemented.

> Something would have to be invented for this to work.
> Miles Bader said something about using the 7th element for closures,
> but I don't know the details.

Well, there are two questions:
- how best to implement closures, given the current Emacs C code.
- how best to implement closures, assuming we get to change the C code.

I'm talking about the first question.  Miles's work is within the context
of the second.

        Stefan