Re: Default Emacs keybindings (was: Re: Menu suggestion)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Default Emacs keybindings (was: Re: Menu suggestion)
Date: 27 Apr 2004 10:04:02 -0400

> Also when explicitly marking a region with the mouse (dragging mouse-1
> or clicking mouse-3), temporary transient mark mode should be enabled:

Funny you should mention that: I thought about it two days ago and was
about to propose it.

> it is a safe bet that if the user marks out a _region_ for a command,
> that he wants the command to be applied to the region instead of just
> operating at point.  _If_ the command has special behavior for active
> regions.

Obviously I completely agree.

>> 1) Type the C-c C-e very quickly (the quicklyness is configurable).
>> 2) Type C-c C-c quickly, followed by C-e
>> 3) Type S-C-c C-e

CUA-mode is a really neat mode, but I think it will have to stay as
a "compatibility tool" at least for the forseeable future.  Too many of its
features have as sole purpose to work around the presence of
old-style bindings.  Great for CUA-mode's purpose, but not so convincing
for a default mode of operation.

What I'd like to see is a move to discourage the use of hardcoded "C-c",
"C-x" and such in bindings setup by packages.  Instead we should provide
ctl-x-prefix and major-mode-prefix as aliases for C-x and C-c and
make packages use those.  Then we can hope to later change the bindings
(either by default or just in CUA-mode) in a more robust way.

        Stefan