Re: Info-index fails on node-name "~/.cvsrc"

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Info-index fails on node-name "~/.cvsrc"
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 04:07:38 +0300

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes on emacs-pretest-bug:
> emacs -q --no-site-file
> C-h i
> m cvs
> i .cvsrc RET
>
> Result: "No such node or anchor: ~/"
>
> The relevant index entry reads:
>
> * .cvsrc file:                           ~/.cvsrc.
>
> The standalone info reader [info (GNU texinfo) 4.1] has no problems
> with this.

The standalone info reader has no problems with this because its
skip_node_characters function contains "quite a bit of hair" to
ignore periods without whitespace after them.  But it still fails
on node names containing periods with following whitespace.

One possible solution is to extract node names up to the final period
ignoring all intermediate periods, e.g.

* J. Random Hacker:        J. Random Hacker.      (line  2)

with the assumption that no index entries have more text after the node
name (except the line number in the new Info format).

I wouldn't want to make incompatible changes, so please tell, are there
such cases where it will not work for index entries?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/