Re: Jumping to C source from *Help*

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Jumping to C source from *Help*
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:47:44 -0400

    > The question is, is this a bug, or is it just a case of "So don't do
    > that, then."

    Well, if that was not a rhetorical question, and if I understand
    correctly that the issue is "ought one to put a dedicated window in an
    unsplittable frame", then IMO it doesn't seem like such a crazy thing
    to do.

    As I alluded to in a previous mail it already happens in at least one
    place in Emacs, namely the calendar if one has (setq calendar-setup
    'calendar-only). I tried changing the calendar frame to no longer be
    unsplittable and the results were not satisfactory.

I think you're right.  When people use a special-purpose frame like
this, they would not mind if C-x b switches to a window in another
frame.

    Strangely, if in my previous example I use t for the second argument
    of set-window-dedicated-p, rather than 'foo (say), then there is no
    problem.

Looking at the code, I see that values other than t allow
switch-to-buffer in the window.  It looks like this feature was added
along with making switch-to-buffer check the dedicated flag, and was
not documented at all.

Such a third option could be useful.  However, the name
set-window-dedicated-p implies a flag that is true or false.  With
three significantly different states, this is no longer a binary flag.