Re: lisp/url/url-https.el

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: lisp/url/url-https.el
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:30:00 -0400

On 15 Apr 2004, address@hidden wrote:

>> There is crypt++, but when it was discussed in the context of Gnus,
>> I think it was decided it was not really good enough, the
>> programmatic elisp API insufficient, and that we could never get
>> copyright papers for it anyway.  I believe it was suggested to make
>> a generic package for this.  This same problem does indeed occur in
>> many situations.  I thought, but perhaps I have just been secretly
>> wishing it, that Ted was working on something like that.
>
> Maybe I didn't express myself clearly enough: I was talking about
> writing a generic package (like crypt++) such that Gnus does not
> need to know about encryption at all (i.e. the package uses generic
> hooks so Gnus does not need to call it explicitly.  At most Gnus
> would just need a way to specify a different file name than
> ~/.authinfo, which is probably already the case).

My aim was to write such a package, based on crypt++ but without all
the bells and whistles (to be called gencrypt.el).  I was doing it
specifically for Gnus, because that's where I need the encryption, but
it was supposed to be general use.  I got started on it and get pretty
far before I found out (wrongly, it's apparent now) it wouldn't
integrate with Gnus due to the crypto restrictions.

I'll resume work on gnus-encrypt.el, which will contain empty hooks
for encryption, and gencrypt.el, which will use those hooks.

Thanks
Ted