Re: Improved help from minibuffer prompts

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Improved help from minibuffer prompts
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:02:28 -0400

    In my mode the user is often asked some questions in the
    minibuffer. Sometimes the questions need some more
    explanations. So I decided to put the needed help in the
    function's docstring.

You didn't say which function you mean, but according to the code
it looks like the entire doc string of the command that invoked
the minibuffer is the help string you use.  I don't think
that will be very natural.

It would be more natural to have a variable which, if non-nil, has
extra help for the current minibuffer question.  The caller would bind
that variable.  What do you think of that?

Better: the caller binds minibuffer-extra-help to the string
it should use.  All entry to the minibuffer binds
minibuffer-current-extra-help to minibuffer-extra-help,
and binds minibuffer-extra-help to nil.  This way, a recursive
use of the minibuffer will not mistakenly use a string
meant for the outer minibuffer level.