Re: Jumping to C source from *Help*

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Jumping to C source from *Help*
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:44:45 -0400

    >> switch-to-buffer means "I specifically want the buffer in THIS window."
    >> It should get an error if it can't do that.  To display the buffer
    >> in another window would be failing to do the intended job.

    Obviously we need to distinguish between "switch-to-buffer the command"
    and "switch-to-buffer" the function.  I don't care about the behavior
    of the command, but of the function.

They are the same.  We could make it do something different,
then specially restore the old behavior for interactive calls only.
But I think it would be a change for the worse to do this.

    And the problem is made worse because there is currently no function that
    does what we want in such case, i.e. "show buffer B, preferably in the
    current window".

Perhaps the right thing is to define a new function which does that.
It could be called select-buffer, or switch-to-buffer-somewhere.
It could leave you with that buffer visible in the selected window,
which would be the previously current buffer if that is possible.