Re: Strange problem with latest CVS

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Strange problem with latest CVS
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 18:44:46 -0400

    +     make_empty = 1;
    +     tem      = startpos;
    +     startpos = endpos;
    +     endpos   = tem;

It is a bit convoluted, and I suspect it could be done more simply.
However, if it fixes the bug, please install it.

    The biggest question is that whether I should use overlay-start or
    overlay-end to make an overlay empty.

It may not make much difference, but I think it is better to use
overlay-end.  That is the earlier address in this case, and the result
will be that the overlay stays before the inserted text.  However, I
wouldn't say that the other choice is wrong.  In this bizarre
situation, the best we can hope for is to keep things consistent, one
way or another.