Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).
Date: 08 Apr 2004 17:46:51 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Kenichi Handa wrote:
>
> > I have thought that we are going to take the following
> > schedule.
> > (1) Release the current RC branch as 21.4.
>
> That was discussed some weeks ago, but no pretest has begun yet, so
> maybe it is better to skip this if it is going to take a long time
> anyway.

I would say that depends on how long we expect the 21.5 pretest to take.
If THAT takes a long time, let's go for a 21.4 pretest now, and release
quickly if the pretest doesn't reveal anything major (compared to 21.3).

> > (2) Feature freeze on HEAD.
> > (3) Merge HEAD into RC branch, and make it 21.4.50.
>
> I think making a new branch would be easier than merging. I doubt
> there are important bugfixes in the RC branch that are not already in
> HEAD.

I agree that we should leave the old RC branch as is (ending with 21.4)
and create a new RC branch for 21.5 _asap_!!.