Re: Suggested change in net/browse-url.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Suggested change in net/browse-url.el
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 12:25:01 -0400

    Since I use 0 here, the output of calling the process is discarded
    and Emacs does _not_ wait.

You're right.  Sorry for not noticing that.

    In fact, this way of using call-process is the _only_ way to start a
    process in the background without getting an associated process object
    within Emacs.  It is a bit confusing that the API for starting a
    particularly asynchronous kind of process is hidden in the function
    used normally for starting synchronous processes,

Good point.  We could add a new function for this: fork-process.  What
do people think of that?