Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: 31 Mar 2004 11:30:23 +0200

address@hidden (Jari Aalto+mail.emacs) writes:

>         The "de facto" situation for long has been that everybody maps
>         M-g to goto-line. People advice that in newsgroups, because it
>         is indeed the most logical key.
>
>         If we would take a poll in Emacs newsgroups, presumably the
>         "yes" votes for goto-line would win in great majority.
>
>         It would be better if Emacs supported this 99 % daily usage of
>         M-g, instead of current not-so-useful binding.

It occurred to me that you can have your cake and eat it too:

Try this little trick:

(defun goto-line-piggyback ()
  (interactive)
  (goto-line
   (string-to-int
    (read-string "Goto line: "
                 (substring (this-command-keys) -1)))))

(dolist (digit '(?1 ?2 ?3 ?4 ?5 ?6 ?7 ?8 ?9))
  (define-key facemenu-keymap (vector digit) 'goto-line-piggyback))

Eval and try M-g 123 RET

Or course, the feedback in the minibuffer when you hit M-g is far from
perfect, and C-h k M-g still gives odd results...