Re: Feature request for `describe-char-after'

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Feature request for `describe-char-after'
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:45:50 +0200

BTW, I need another feature for `describe-char' - the ability
to display Unicode data for the character after point.

The saddest thing about it is that it's already implemented
but commented out with the following commentary:

;;; We cannot use the UnicodeData.txt file as such; it is not free.
;;; We can turn that info a different format and release the result
;;; as free data.  When that is done, we could reinstate the code below.
;;; For the mean time, here is a dummy placeholder.

;;; ;; We could convert the unidata file into a Lispy form once-for-all
;;; ;; and distribute it for loading on demand.  It might be made more
;;; ;; space-efficient by splitting strings word-wise and replacing them
;;; ;; with lists of symbols interned in a private obarray, e.g.
;;; ;; "LATIN SMALL LETTER A" => '(LATIN SMALL LETTER A).

I wonder why nobody has converted it into a Lisp format?
Are there any legal obstacles?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/