Re: (Windows:) cmdproxy non-existent on bootstrapping after make realcle

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: (Windows:) cmdproxy non-existent on bootstrapping after make realclean
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:38:19 +0100

On 22 Mar 2004 07:49:22 +0200
Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is it true that the variables in the registry are actually pushed
> into the environment of the running Emacs, so that `getenv' sees
> them?

Well, if I change HKLM\SOFTWARE\GNU\Emacs\SHELL to point to a
non-existent exe, M-x shell fails, so yes.

> I don't think this is a hack no more than the whole Makefile system
> for building Emacs on Windows, which is already full of worse tricks
> in order to support the different makes of shells, compilers, and Make
> varieties.

The "hack", in my view, is having to process %COMSPEC% to escape \'s
before passing it to Emacs. But, hey, I agree: the Windows makefile
system is a bit of a nightmare (though I *fully* understand why it's
done the way it is, I'm not pointing fingers).

> If so, can we override these variables with real environment
> variables set either by the shell or by Make?

Yes, you're right! I overlooked that :)

So, you're proposing this fix instead of deleting the registry entries?
If so, what's a good default to SHELL? %COMSPEC%?

                                                                Juanma