Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)
Date: 22 Mar 2004 08:33:27 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>
>             @gindex strcpy
>
>     will produce something that install-info could copy to the
>     system-wide database I mentioned above.
>
> This has two major disadvantages.
>
> 1. It fails to catagorize the names.  I don't want to have command
>    names mixed up with C functions and Perl functions and Lisp
>    functions and file formats.

This one can be easily fixed by adding a category argument to the new
directive.

> 2. It requires changes in texinfo itself.  I am seeking a
>    solution that does not require any changes in makeinfo
>    or install-info.

I think we will need changes at least in install-info, since DIR file
will have to be changed, or else an external database will need to be
created.  If we leave DIR as it is now, and rely on the Info reader to
generate the additional nodes/data structures, the startup time will
become slow, and the `man'-style "info strcpy" feature, which assumes
that the reader is launched anew for each query, will be impossible.