Re: menu interface for registers

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: menu interface for registers
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:52:46 +0900 (JST)

> First, would you please tell me what this code does?
> What is the user interface?  All you said is that it somehow
> defines menus that relate to registers.  That could mean many
> different things.

My explanation was not enough.

My code added "Registers" menu item to global menu-bar or
next to Edit=>Bookmarks. (The position where the menu item is
added is customizable.) Here after, "Registers" menu item is
on the  menu-bar like:

File   Edit    Options     Buffer    Tools    Registers   Help

Consider register ?a has a marker as value. I focus on "Registers"
menu item. Let's open the menu:

================
 Registers
+=======================
| Jump to              >|
+-----------------------+
| Insert String        >|
+-----------------------+
| Store Point to...     |
+-----------------------+
| Store String to...    |
+-----------------------+

If you move the mouse cursor to "Jump to", a sub menu is appeared:

================
 Registers
+=======================
+-----------------------+| a |
| Insert String        >|+---+
+-----------------------+
| Store Point to...     |
+-----------------------+
| Store String to...    |
+-----------------------+

The sub menu contains ?a, because the register ?a has a marker as
value.  Of course, the point moves to the marker associated with ?a
register if you select the menu item.  Further more, tooltip about the
register's value will appear on the ?a sub menu item like:

================
 Registers
+=======================
| Jump to             =>|+---+
+-----------------------+| a | +-------------------+
| Insert String        >|+---+ | Buffer: *scratich |
+-----------------------+      | Line: 10(20%)     |
| Store Point to...     |      +-------------------+
+-----------------------+
| Store String to...    |
+-----------------------+

You can set a position by "Store Point to..." menu item(This is the same as C-x
r SPC).
Consider you have stored a position to register ?b. When you choose "Jump to"
menu, you
will see the sub menu grows like:

================
 Registers
+=======================
+-----------------------+| a |
+-----------------------+| b |
| Store Point to...     |+---+
+-----------------------+
| Store String to...    |
+-----------------------+

The same function for registers having strings value is also
available. Tooltips of the sub menu item for registershaving strings
value are the strings themselves. Consider registers ?c has a string,
"we are referring to freedom":

================
 Registers
+=======================
| Jump to             =>|
| Insert String        >|+---+
| Store Point to...     |+---+ | Contents:                   |
+-----------------------+      | we are referring to freedom |

You can know the value of registers quickly by pull down menu.

If you find something unclear, tell me.
Masatake YAMATO