Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:18:08 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> Yes we can: we could make a separate manual that isn't printed as part
> of the Emacs manual.  Then users can print it on their own.
>
> We already do that for several major Emacs features.

Making a separate manual is reasonable only for a big Emacs package
like Ediff, Eshell, Gnus, or other 30 packages currently having a
separate Info manual.  However, placing smaller Emacs features into
a separate manual is very inconvenient for users, because when they
are trying for find a needed Emacs feature by searching the Emacs
manual or by looking its index they might miss them.  Currently,
there is only one Info manual that don't correspond to a separate
Emacs package: it is Autotype.  It describes some small Emacs features,
and even most of its references lead to the Emacs manual, so it really
looks like a part of the Emacs manual.  I think Autotype should be
moved to the Emacs manual.

BTW, is there a reason for not including references to SES and SMTP
manuals into the `emacs/info/dir' file?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/