Re: dired-man can't deal with compressed pages

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: dired-man can't deal with compressed pages
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 05:42:38 +0200

I have another argument for allowing users to specify command lines
they want for dired-man.  Recently there was a request on
bug-gnu-emacs for making perldoc to work on .pod files:

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2004-02/msg00073.html

But suggested addition of ("\\.pod\\'" "perldoc") entry to
dired-guess-shell-alist-user will not be useful because the output of
this command goes into the "*Shell command*" buffer where it is hardly
readable.

Instead of this I tried to place point on a .pod file, pressed "N" and
at the prompt displayed by the latest patch I typed "perldoc" RET,
and the buffer "*Man perlfaq.pod*" came nicely formatted in Man-mode.
This is because perldoc actually processes .pod files by a command
like "pod2man | nroff -man".

This means that reading a command for dired-man from the user is a
useful thing.

--
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/