Re: man.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: man.el
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:56:40 +0200

> From: Alex Schroeder <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 01:49:05 +0100
>
> When you split-window-horizontally using C-x 3 and intend to keep
> working that way, you'll prefer window-width to frame-width.

I don't think it's quite that simple.  The correct choice depends on
where will Emacs pop the window in which it displays the formatted man
page.  Since window popping follows some quite comlpex logic, it could
be wrong to use window-width in the case you cite.

I think we need some machinery to allow us to know in advance where
the window will pop.  Perhaps we should create the window before
running the `man' command, or maybe decide in advance where to pop the
window and force Emacs to pop it exactly where we tell it.