Re: char-table-range

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: char-table-range
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:08:48 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:
> I did not realize that currently, for charsets different from ascii and
> eight-bit-{control,graphic}, char-table-range actually returns the
> entire range of values if the value is not uniform.  So this could be
> a fifth possibility, since it appears to be the current situation:

No.  I think it is a serious bug because that returned value
is a sub-char-table which should not be exposed to Lisp.

> My own opinion would be to have char-table-range return the default
> value, except for ascii and eight-bit-{control,graphic} which do not
> have a default value.  For those it would seem to me that the best
> thing to do would be to throw an error.

Actually, we can think that a char-table has a default value
for ascii and eight-bit-xxx.  It is the default value of the
char-table itself.  So, I now think that your idea of
returning the default value is good.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden