Re: More enhancements to fringe bitmaps.

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: More enhancements to fringe bitmaps.
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:41:24 +0000

> ;;; Here is an example of using a user-defined fringe bitmaps; it is a red
> ;;; circle which can be used to mark a debugger breakpoint (instead of
> ;;; using the display margin as gdba current does).

I recall a thread about 15 months ago about the fringe versus the display
margin for breakpoint icons. However, I must admit that I've never quite
understood the need for the fringe. Using the display margin does shunt the
code sideways but I've got used to that. On the other hand, the overlay arrow
already uses the fringe so it could get a bit crowded. Also, on text-only
terminals the character `B' or `b' in the display margin marks a debugger
breakpoint while the fringe is unavailable. Would the concept of the fringe
make sense for such terminals?

    Nick                                         http://www.nick.uklinux.net