Re: Proposal: emacs -Q option

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Proposal: emacs -Q option
Date: 07 Feb 2004 18:16:26 -0500

> --no-shared-memory, -nl (#ifdef HAVE_SHM)
>         present in --help
>         missing in cmdargs.texi

No clue what this actually does.  It should at least be removed from --help
when HAVE_SHM is not defined.

> --map-data, -map (#ifdef VMS)
>         missing in --help, cmdargs.texi

> --no-loadup, -nl
>         missing in --help, cmdargs.texi

IIRC this is only used for undumped Emacsen.  It's "for hackers only".

> --vertical-scroll-bars, -vb
>         present in --help
>         missing in cmdargs.texi
> --horizontal-scroll-bars, -hb
>         missing in --help, cmdargs.texi

I guess they should both be added.

> --line-spacing, -lsp
>         present in --help
>         missing in cmdargs.texi

Maybe this one as well.

> --smid
>         missing in --help, cmdargs.texi

This is used internally by the session-manager code (i.e. X11-specific).

> -psn_ (#ifdef MAC_OSX)
>         missing in --help, cmdargs.texi

This looks very "not-for-user".

> --name
>         present in --help
>         missing in cmdargs.texi, although documented in xresources.texi
> --xrm
>         present in --help
>         missing in cmdargs.texi, although documented in xresources.texi

I suspect these were X11 specific.  Maybe they are also somewhat supported
under other platforms.  They should definitely be mentioned in --help and
in the Texinfo doc.  Maybe it would be worthwhile to add them to
cmdargs.texi.

This said, I really think the --help text should be generated more
dynamically to match the exact set of args accepted by the executed Emacs.

        Stefan