arch-tag: lines in new files

From: Miles Bader
Subject: arch-tag: lines in new files
Date: 04 Feb 2004 07:01:54 +0900

I recently noticed a new file which had been added to emacs, where the
author had put in a line like:

   ;;; arch-tag: ???

at the end, presumably thinking that something should be done for arch,
but not sure of all the details.

So here are the details:

 (1) Usually, you don't need to do anything:  my CVS-arch
     synchronization scripts will notice new files and add appropriate
     taglines to them.

 (2) _Don't_ add `proto' taglines like the above.  That makes the
     scripts think the file already has a tagline, and actually gives
     the file a tag of `???' (which although legal will obviously cause
     problems when the another person does the same thing).

 (3) If the file really already contains taglines because you're using
     arch locally, or from another project, you should probably just
     leave them in, unless the file contents are drastically changed in
     the process of adapting for emacs (making it effectively a
     `different file').

Basically, you shouldn't have to think about arch, things should just work.

Thanks,

-Miles
--
If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.  [George Carlin]