Re: Buffer Boundary Problem

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Buffer Boundary Problem
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 13:54:36 +0100

Jan D. wrote:
Matt Hodges wrote:

Vinicius Jose Latorre writes:

 > >By `it' I presume you mean the scrollbars have a problem, and that
 > >you're using GTK scrollbars.

 > Yes, the vertical scrollbar. And, also, I'm using GTK.

I tried what you described in your original post, and thought you were
talking about the glyphs in the fringe. I also see either two down
arrows, or sometimes two down and one up; this changes to one up arrow
and one down arrow with C-l, which is what I expect to see.

This seems to be the case with or without scrollbars, at least for a
GTK build.

Can you elaborate? What are those arrows if it also happens without scrollbars? Not scrollbar arrows, but what?

Oh, now I get it. Its the arrows in the fringes. I didn't even see them first. Anyway, it is unrelated to scrollbars, I see the same effect for Motif, Lesstif, Lucid and Xaw(3d) scroll bars. However, I can not find any code that clear the fringes, just draws, so it is not surprising that you get an arrow in the middle sometimes. It is the arrow that was at the bottom that has been moved up, and since fringes are not cleared before redrawn, it stays.

BTW, how come you can do C-h v default-indicate-buffer-boundaries, but not M-x set-variable default-indicate-buffer-boundaries?

        Jan D.