copyright and `auto-mode-alist'

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: copyright and `auto-mode-alist'
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:24:26 +0100

I recently published a package on gnu.emacs.sources:

> ;;; beta-code.el --- converting Greek beta code to Unicode and vice versa
>
> ;; Copyright (C) 2003  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> ;; Author: Oliver Scholz <address@hidden>

This copyright notice is inserted by the default skeleton in
‘auto-insert-alist’, because I don't have the ORGANIZATION environment
variable set. Since I do not care whether I or the FSF holds the
copyright to Elisp code that wrote, I leave it as it is in all my .el
files.

Yet somebody contacted my via PM and convinced me that such
unilateral assignment is maybe problematical.  I have signed papers
for future changes to Emacs; but does an Elisp package that is
published without explicit intention to be included in Emacs count as
a “change to Emacs”?  At the very least: is unilateral assignment
possible by simply publishing a package (if it is possible at all,
that is)? Probably not, I guess.

Therefore I propose to change the default in ‘auto-insert-alist’
(defined in ‘autoinsert’) to use ‘user-full-name’ if (getenv
"ORGANIZATION") returns nil.  Unless at least this sort of unilateral
assignment should be o.k.

    Oliver
--
9 Pluviôse an 212 de la Révolution