Re: Furna's fisheye minor mode

From: Juha
Subject: Re: Furna's fisheye minor mode
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:37:58 +0200

Most interesting would be to know "what does the user have to do to
hide/unhide parts of the text and to tell which parts to hide/unhide".

You can define the level on indentation for a high level feature, everything that has more is a low level feature. If the point is close enough, all levels of indentation are shown. Hiding and unhiding is done automatically as you move the point.

I suppose it's slow because you use line-counts rather than
buffer positions.  I recommend you begin by removing fisheye-count-lines
and figure out how to get your code working again without using it.
That'll speed it up tremendously.

Ok. I guess I could use the number of characters as a distance measure.

the buffer based on the user's movement (like reveal-mode does) ?

reveal-mode? I'm running 21.2.1 and I don't have a reveal-mode.

Using post-command-hook sounds about right.  In many cases you can try to
answer "why do I need to know whether point has moved" in order to avoid
having to answer the first question, tho.

It's the automatic hiding/unhiding that I want.

juha