Re: address@hidden: Re: compose key on SUN keyboard creates 2 characters

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: compose key on SUN keyboard creates 2 characters (and beeps)]
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:48:20 +0100

Jan> check for > 0 (no need to limit ourselves to 1 or 2) can be done. But

are you sure, this would amaze me? I thought when chars_matched is 3, emacs needs to handle the char, and as long as we're composing a character, we need
to ignore it.

I would expect chars_matched to be set to 0 when a complete character
has been composed.  But this may not be so, it all depends on what Sun
has done.

Does the compose key work the way it's implemented now e.g. under GNU/Linux?

Compose processing works with XIM/XIC, so XLookupString is never called.
But if you turn XIM off (emacs --xrm '*useXIM: false') it does not work.
Nor can it be made to work in Emacs, since the code in XLookupString
that did compose processing has been conditionalized out in XFree86.
The compose_status parameter is never modifyed by XLookupString by
XFree86.  It sounds as if Sun is doing something else, I'll try to
figure out what when I can get my hand on a Solaris machine.

But is there a reason why XIM is not enabled for you?

        Jan D.