Re: Updated multi-tty support for Emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Updated multi-tty support for Emacs
Date: 03 Jan 2004 13:52:46 +0100

address@hidden (Lőrentey Károly) writes:

> Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:
> > address@hidden (Károly Lőrentey) writes:
> >
> >> Please let me know what you think about this project.  I badly need
> >> testers, so if you think this would be useful for you, please give it
> >> a try and tell me your results.  (Note that Mac, MSDOS and Windows
> >> support is broken at the moment, and I will probably need some help
> >> with these ports later.)
> >
> > Also it won't build on any non-glibc system, due the unconditional use
> > of getpt() in emacsclient.
>
> I fixed this by eliminating the pty-proxy kludge from emacsclient.
> patch-35 compiles and runs fine on Solaris with GCC.  (I suspect I
> may have inadvertently used some GCC extensions (conditional
> lvalues) -- tell me if you succeed to compile the branch with
> another compiler.)

Conditional lvalues _are_ a GNU extension.  You can work around by
saying something like

*(condition ? &a : &b) = ...

but it will in general be better just to write

if (condition)
  a = ...;
else
  b = ...;

Even if a stupid compiler does not catch the code duplication, only
one branch gets executed, anyway.