Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?
Date: 18 Dec 2003 18:01:28 +0100

Per Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I think if cua is an emulation, then s-region should also be an
> > emulation.
>
> CUA conflicts with the Emacs UI.

In what way?

By default, CUA remaps C-z and C-v keys, and makes C-x and C-c behave
"intelligently" when the region is active, but you can easily
customize those bindings away and still use other cua features (like
the shift region making).

>                                   Does s-region conflict with Emacs
> in any way?  Or is it a clean extension?  If it does not conflict and
> is generally useful, maybe it should be enabled by default and thus
> become part of the Emacs UI.

I would strongly advise against this -- IMHO the s-region.el package is
really an ugly hack, and I doubt many users are using it.

For one thing s-region completely messes up the key bindings for the
shifted keys it rebinds (they are all bound to the same function, so
there's no useful doc string printed by C-h k for these keys).

Furthermore, it uses an overlay to show the marked region rather than
relying on transient-mark-mode which does the same thing automatically.

A better place for it might actually be obsolete/.