Re: No GCPRO in directory-files and directory-files-and-attributes

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: No GCPRO in directory-files and directory-files-and-attributes
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 16:49:46 -0500

    In dired.c I have noticed that file name handlers are called using the
    function call<n> from eval.c. However, there are two exceptions, the
    calls in functions Fdirectory-files and Fdirectory-files-and-attributes
    where Ffuncall is used instead. This means that the arguments are not
    protected with GCPRO.

Calling call1 etc. does not GCPRO the variables from which the
argument values are obtained, any more than calling Ffuncall does.
When calling Ffuncall, you need to GCPRO the vector of arguments,
but only if the values are live.

                          Is this intensional or is it a bug?

I don't think there is a bug.  Those values will never be used again,
so they don't need to be GCPRO'd.