Re: Info enhancements

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 12:00:40 -0600 (CST)

Juri Linkov wrote:

   I thought that since `Info-try-follow-nearest-node' already matches a
   reference name regexp, this regexp could be extended to match a node
   name too, and its value could be transfered to Info-follow-reference
   by extra argument.  However, this can be done in Info-follow-reference
   as well given than point is still located on a position with reference.

If you are going to fix the bug, then you are probably best placed to
decide what the best way to do so is.

   Yes, there is another problem with similarly named references: how to
   select a reference unambiguously from a completion list.  I thought
   that node name could be concatenated with a reference name to form one
   item string in a completion list to disambiguate them, for instance:

   Top::
   Top: (elisp)Top

   and after an item is selected from the minibuffer to split it to two
   values: reference name and node name and use them as function
   arguments.

I personally believe that we should indeed tell the user that the
completion does not specify a unique alternative and allow him to make
it unique.

Sincerely,

Luc.