Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 17:11:20 +0100 (MET)

   >     5. Emacs will still need to be able to handle .info files, if
   >        no XML file is available, but certainly if we produce XML
   >        files from the .texi files, that case becomes marginal
   >        enough that we should not waste a lot of energy trying to
   >        do the impossible by attempting to present .info files in
   >        "nicer" ways than theoretically possible.

   In practice, you could also go another route -- and let makeinfo
   produce two files, a .info and a .markup file.  The .info file will
   be identical to what we have today, while the .markup file will
   contain a simple list of "tagging info" for the .info file, which
   reflects what @-commands were used to produce each part of the
   .info file.

If going that route, don't make it a seperate file.  Instead make it
something similar to the "tag table" which exists in info files
already; and call it "markup table".

Cheers.