Re: Info enhancements

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 09:49:36 -0500

    Note that nodes `Building Lists' and
       `Creating Strings' are very large

Perhaps they should be split up, then.  But obviously that's a different
issue.

As for the general question of making index entries xrefable, as I said
before, I am not sure.  Although it would be useful in the cases you
cite, I am not sure if it would be useful enough in general to
automatically do it for every index entry.  Most index entries (in most
manuals) are long strings of human-readable text that it is not useful
to xref.

Also, the question of conflicts would arise.  If there is both an index
entry and a node with the same name, what to do?  Or two index entries
with the same name?  The xref commands are not set up to handle this.
Making them take a sixth argument or something does not sound all that
appealing, although maybe it is the cleanest thing.

So I don't think it is "easy".  The easy thing to do is accept the
feaure Texinfo already provides for subnode positioning: anchors.  It is
more work for the authors in one way, but on the other hand it actually
works.