Re: Info enhancements

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 14:44:12 -0600 (CST)

Karl Berry wrote:

   As for the xref stuff, I am not at all sure the second arg to xref
   should be treated in a special way; that was not its original intent and
   nothing has ever been documented about it.  I didn't know standalone
   info did any searching based on it.  I'll have to think about that.

The standalone info goes to the wrong place in the example we have
been looking at.  Instead of going to the intended place:

 - Variable: file-coding-system-alist

It goes to:

     files and the contents of `file-coding-system-alist' (see below).

in the description of `auto-coding-regexp-alist'.

While it is very useful to go to the intended place, it is a lot
better to just go to the top of the node than to attempt to guess.
Going to the wrong place misleads the user.

Sincerely,

Luc.