Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:40:41 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> The purpose of customize is not to make things just sexp when they
> get complicated.  It is exactly when things get complicated that the
> user needs to be lead by his hand.

You can't make complicated stuff simple by adding a better UI.  This
is why I advocate keeping user options as simple as possible.

In any case, the point is that it is never an error to use "sexp" as
the customization type.  Although it might stylistically be cleaner to
leave out the the :type parameter if the option doesn't really accept
any sexp.  It won't matter, as the default for :type is sexp anyway.

Creating structured customization types for recursive data types is
possible, but very difficult.  I believe I finally got through with
the "make defining (recursive) widgets easy" helper widget I have been
attempting tp create for a decade.  I'll send that in a seperate
messsage.