Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:08:33 -0600 (CST)

Yuri Linkov wrote:

   I wanted to clarify what is the best way to display references in the
   current Info format or XML output of Texinfo without refilling and
   without changing line lengths.

I do not know XML.  But it would seem to me that keeping
Info-hide-note-references in its present form and having the XML output
already "pre-filled" correctly for all values of the variable might
require passing the value as an extra option to makeinfo --xml.  If
one then would convert Texinfo source files to such pre-filled XML
files as part of the Emacs make process, like they are now converted
to .info files (I do not know whether this is the intention), then one
would have to change Info-hide-note-references from a customizable
variable to an option given to configure (and passed along to
makeinfo --xml).  One could keep Info-hide-note-references as a
customizable variable by regenerating the pre-filled XML files from
the Texinfo source files as needed, but I do not know whether that
would be fast enough.

Alternatively, Info could consult the value of
Info-hide-note-references and do the filling itself using an XML file
that still contained enough information to respect any @* or @w
commands present in the original Texinfo source.  Or one could
regenerate the pre-filled XML from non pre-filled XML, as needed, in
some other way.  The problem with present refilling attempts with
Info-hide-note-references set to t is not speed, but the fact that the
information contained in @*, @w and the like is not preserved in the
.info files and currently the .info files is all Info has to work
with.  I believe to recall from previous discussions that one of the
benefits of XML would be that it still would contain the XML
equivalents of @*, @w and the like.

Or am I misunderstanding something?  (Again, I do not know XML.)

Sincerely,

Luc.