Re: The display margin

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: The display margin
Date: 24 Nov 2003 00:12:50 +0100

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  > I have just checked in fixes to improve event handling for mouse
>  > clicks in the marginal areas and on the fringes.  Events now have
>  > additional information:
>  >
>  >    (WINDOW AREA-OR-POS (X . Y) TIMESTAMP OBJECT POS (COL . ROW))
>  >
>  > AREA-OR-POS is not changed as such -- but it may now contain
>  > left-fringe and right-fringe.
>  >
>  > For clicks in the text area, POS is the same as AREA-OR-POS (the
>  > buffer position clicked on).  For clicks in other areas, POS is
>  > the buffer position of the first visible glyph on the
>  > corresponding row.
>  >
>  > As an example, try M-x gdba and click mouse-1 on the left margin
>  > or fringe of a source window [it should toggle breakpoint on that
>  > line].
>
> Kim,
>
> I like this very much.

The click information for GNU Emacs is quite insufficient, anyway.
XEmacs, as far as I can remember, can tell from an event what object
has been clicked on and what pixel relative to the object's origin
has been hit.  With GNU Emacs, in contrast, you have to set up a
separate keymap for every object in order to have a chance to find
out which of several ones have been clicked, and no chance of finding
the relative position at all.

And the object/click correlation is done at the time when you query
the event, not when the click was done: if you click in order to do a
cut&paste operation on some buffer, and Emacs churns away internally
at the time, finally places a dialog box "Explode now?" on the
screen, then finally processes the click event, it will associate at
it with the exploding object instead of what was on the screen at the
time of the click.

I digress.  Anyway, I want more information from clicks.  At the
very least, the object they appeared on.