Re: The display margin

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: The display margin
Date: 23 Nov 2003 03:08:25 +0100

Hi Nick (and the rest of the emacs-devel team),

I have just checked in fixes to improve event handling for mouse
clicks in the marginal areas and on the fringes.  Events now have
additional information:

   (WINDOW AREA-OR-POS (X . Y) TIMESTAMP OBJECT POS (COL . ROW))

AREA-OR-POS is not changed as such -- but it may now contain
left-fringe and right-fringe.

For clicks in the text area, POS is the same as AREA-OR-POS (the
buffer position clicked on).  For clicks in other areas, POS is the
buffer position of the first visible glyph on the corresponding row.

As an example, try M-x gdba and click mouse-1 on the left margin or
fringe of a source window [it should toggle breakpoint on that line].

[Note: Some strange scrolling happens if I remove a breakpoint in the
lower half of a window, but I strongly suspect this has something to
do with comint doing strange things to the wrong window  -- as I have
traced this (using gdba :-) and it seems to happens inside a comint
filter or some such -- when stepping, it actually happens to scroll
and redisplay the window BEFORE the breakpoint icon disappears.]

Docs in commands.texi have been updated to reflect changes.

Note that previously mouse click on fringes were just handled like
clicks in the text area.  Now they are separate event types, so I have
added bindings for them in mouse.el to allow h-scrolling by clicking
on fringes to work as before.

If mouse events starts to behave differently than before, pls. let me
know.

++kfs