Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD
Date: 22 Nov 2003 21:41:39 +0000

>     e) For Emacs/W3 we'd have to write an XSLT processing solution, they
>        are being worked on I understand. It would be very trivial to write
>        one using a command line XSLT tool but see method 2.
>
> I can't begin to make sense of that.  How would you propose
> that Emacs display one of these XML files?
>
> It can't depend on W3 because W3 is not part of Emacs.

One of two ways:

1. use a command line XSLT processor (such as xsltproc, part of
   GNOME's libxsl project) to turn the XML into plain text (or
   specifically marked up text).

2. write an XSLT processor in Emacs Lisp. This wouldn't be as
   difficult as it sounds and I'm not sure it isn't done already (by
   one of the various XML/Emacs projects going on).

These are only technical possibilites. From an administrative
standpoint the second one is probably the only option since you
wouldn't want to depend the Emacs info reader on xsltproc.

Nic