Re: problem of marker as position

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: problem of marker as position
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:09:17 -0500

    I've just noticed that (char-after MARKER) returns a
    character in the current buffer even if the buffer of MARKER
    is the different one.  I think all such functions that
    accept a marker as a position ignores the buffer infomation
    of the marker.

Right now, every function that accepts a marker or an integer handles
the marker by converting it to an integer.  For some functions, such
as arithmetic, that's the only thing to do.  But you could argue that
functions that look at a position in a buffer ought to use the
marker's buffer when given a marker.  In some sense, that would be
cleaner.  However, it would also be a big incompatible change.