Re: Are there plans for a multi-threaded Emacs?

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Are there plans for a multi-threaded Emacs?
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:19:08 -0800

> David Masterson <address@hidden> writes:

>> For instance, if the display-engine could be separated from the
>> lisp-engine parts, then perhaps a mini-scheduler could fork off
>> lisp-engines as needed (or requested) to process complicated
>> things.  The "engines" would theoretically be lighter weight than
>> Emacs proper, but not as light-weight as multi-threading would
>> allow.

> How would this be different than multiple threads, as far as
> avoiding typical threading problems (when lisp programs modify
> global/globally reachable data)?

It was just speculation on my part (and not necessarily a very good
one).  In answer to your question, I would guess that a global data
server would be needed to manage such access.  I was envisioning that
major packages (Gnus, VM, Calendar, ...) would each run in their own
lisp engine and that very little data would need to be shared between
the packages.

--
David Masterson