Re: Two GTK related feature requests

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Two GTK related feature requests
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:03:58 -0500

    One thing that people seem to do is to implement scrolling, of sorts.
    It looks like this (assuming only two buffers are shown):

     ________  ________
    /buffer 3\/buffer 4\[<][>]

    Then you can click on [<] to show buffers 2 and 3, and on [>] to show
    buffers 4 and 5 in the tab bar.  Or so, maybe the arrows scroll by
    more than one buffer.

I think that's a good partial solution.

    Another thing that people seem to do is to shorten long buffer names,
    so that they display "som...ame" instead of "some long buffer name".

I think that's a good partial solution.

Whether these two partial solutions are enough for real usage,
I can't guess in advance.

    A third thing, which is an alternative to the first thing, is that
    they just show multiple rows of buffer tabs.  My coworker, using the
    NetBeans Java IDE, always has 4 or 5 rows of buffer tabs below the
    editing area.  He always uses the mouse to select one of them, and he
    seems to remember them by position: they are not sorted in any obvious
    order, at least afaict they are not sorted alphabetically.  In case he
    forgets the position of one of the tabs, he scans all of them
    visually.  Amazing.

This is fine except I wonder if it would use up too much of the screen
height.