Re: Are there plans for a multi-threaded Emacs?

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Are there plans for a multi-threaded Emacs?
Date: 17 Nov 2003 14:53:04 -0800

>     I'm wondering if there are any plans for implementing multi-threaded
>     program execution into Gnu Emacs.

> It would be a nice feature, but very difficult.

If not multi-threading, could Emacs be made stronger in multi-tasking?
For instance, if the display-engine could be separated from the
lisp-engine parts, then perhaps a mini-scheduler could fork off
lisp-engines as needed (or requested) to process complicated things.
The "engines" would theoretically be lighter weight than Emacs proper,
but not as light-weight as multi-threading would allow.

--
David Masterson